Wednesday 18 June 2014

New PHASE | What the job hunt has taught me...

To officially usher in the new, albeit slightly tedious, era of my post-uni life, I made a short-ish list of what I have learnt after a month-ish of job hunting in the great city of Dubai. I can hear people who have been unemployed for longer telling me to shut it already. Nevertheless I want to believe that all the crazy I have been feeling isn't restricted to me alone.

  • There is a constant paradox between feeling like you have far too much time and no time at all. One moment the world is your oyster, the next minute your oyster is shrinking. 
  • How to use what time I do have in a (kinda) productive way. Perhaps binge watching every anime from One Piece to Hunter x Hunter isn't productive, but then there is all the other stuff...like...things and what not...I have to be real this period of unemployment has been perfect for making concrete future plans and reading and writing books. 
  • Not getting overly excited or attached. They emailed back! No they've already filled the vacancy. Another email! No, no, they have no vacancies. Interview time! Nope not what you're looking for. I'd be perfect for that!!! Never get a response. Basically stay calm until everything comes together. 
  • Patience. Not my strongest suit, but I'm learning.
  • Knowing what you want to know. It's not just about what they ask you but also about what you need to ask them, especially if you have a vision of the kind of place you'd like to work.
  • The importance of a back up plan. (To be fair I always knew this one).
  • Basic stuff like writing CVs, proposals, cover letters, selling yourself, how to earn money while hunting, saving etc. 
  • The frustration of writer's block when it seems like you have all the time in the world to write.
  • Early onset laziness and passiveness.
  • The sheer flexibility of my body clock.
  • The overwhelming feeling of 'freedom'.
  • The even more overwhelming feeling of 'adulthood' that reminds you that your current freedom is a myth. 
  • The panic and catharsis seesaw.
  • The "I shoulda had fun at uni" pep talk on experience and how 2 years and 11 months worth is still not enough...I was really only in uni for 1 year and 6 months minus holidays. I have more work experience than university experience! 
I realise that all sounds rather pessimistic. But when I made this list last night before bed I had to laugh at myself. See the thing is I am strangely at peace. Even though I have moments of panic, they are swiftly followed by a calming of my spirit. Praise God. I have thoroughly enjoyed this brief window of quiet in my otherwise chaotic life, even though there are other things I would love to do at this point. I am thankful. I am happy. I am at peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment